Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Arizona Tomorrow...

Today was spent mostly lying around the house with a rather large knot in my intestines. Tomorrow my mom and I are flying to Arizona for the Child Life Conference and for whatever reason, I am nervous. I attended the conference last year when it was held in Boston and had a great time, but I guess perhaps it is the circumstances surrounding this conference that make it more important than it was last year. This year, I hope to get my name around and distribute some resumes. Depending upon who I meet and come in contact with could, in essence. define my plans for next year.

My mother called a friend of hers, which led her to call and speak with the Child Life Director at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia. After a brief conversation with the director about my educational background, the director decided a good next step for me would be a practicum, which as far as I understood it, between a volunteer and an intern. Unfortunately, practicum hours not count towards certification, only internship hours count. Eh, I'm not complaining as long as I am stepping foreword and in the right direction. My mother and I will meet in person with the Child Life Director at St. Chris's next Tuesday. In Boston, I have the CLC's Directory of Child Life Programs which is essentially the bible if you are looking for practicums or internships and are not currently involved with an educational program for Child Life. The next deadline for practicum applications is Sept 5th for January start. I will likely at the very least apply to the child life practicum program at St. Chris's and CHOP (The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). As far as I know, Children's Hospital Boston (CHB), where I have volunteered for nearly five years does not offer internships/practicums to those not in an educational program, but I will learn soon enough.

Tonight, I went to my best friend Allie's house to watch Glee with a bunch of friends I went to elementary and middle school with. It was so nice to hangout with them because it seems like no matter how much time has passed between when we last saw each other it is really easy to pick up right where we left off :). About four of them, Allie included, will be moving to Boulder CO in August and I am really considering joing them, provided I can find some sort of work/child life related activity for me to do out there. If I have success in that realm, I will then need to investigate the medical care and the feasibility of obtaining it out there since I will obviously need to uproot 90% of my care should I move. Oh, the complications of having something chronic...

I am feeling the winds of change... I just wish they were blowing me more strongly up north back to Boston instead of swirling around my home town... Only time can tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics