Friday, July 9, 2010

Practicum, Job Search, Online Course and Baclofen Trial

Yesterday I emailed the 12 institutions from Massachusetts to North Carolina that offer Child Life practicums.  So far, I have heard from two institutions.  Tufts Floating Hospital for Children in Massachusetts does not offer practicums/internships to students not affiliated with certain colleges.  I saw in that this was the case in The Child Life Council Directory of Child Life Programs but I thought it never huts to send an email to ask because the worst that could happen was they would say no.  Lehigh Vally Hospital in Pennsylvania also got back to me and they are not currently offering a Child Life practicum.

Today I applied to the full-time Administrative Service Representative II position in Urology at Children's Hospital Boston.  (This position essentially schedules outpatient appointments.)

My online Medical Terminology course through BCCC began on Tuesday.

On Sunday I will go home for my Baclofen trial in Philly.  I will be admitted to MossRehab at 12noon on Monday assess my baseline functioning.  Tuesday I will have a test dose of 50mcg of liquid Baclofen administered in the OR.  The rest of the day will be spent doing the tasks I have difficulty with.  Wednesday I will go home.  If the test dose yields no effect, I will likely return later in the summer to try 75mcg or 100mcg.  If the test dose (aka trial) goes well, I may elect to have a permanent pump implanted which would involve Neurosurgery at either Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia or at Brigham and Women's in Boston.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics