Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th (and 5th) of July

This year I did something different for the holiday.  Nearly every other year I have spent it at home in PA with my parents and my friends.  On the Saturday before the 4th, we go to The Riverside Symphonia's Concert Under the Stars.  The interesting thing about this tradition is typically people don't ask if you are going, it is expected that you will be there unless you tell them otherwise.

About a month ago, I saw on Facebook that Stefani, a good mito friend of mine was going to be raising awareness of Mitochondrial Disease at a local parade and having a cookout.  I decided to go for the weekend I could at least see Chelsea  and hopefully some of my other mito friends who I don't get to see very often.  I took the Commuter Rail 45 minutes outside of Boston where Keith (Chelsea's husband) picked me up.  I then hung out at the house with 2 children, 4 dogs along with Stefani and Chelsea while Keith and Ralph (Stefani's husband) set up the tent for the pre-parade festivities.  Essentially we made the men do all the work, while we stayed at the house in the holy A/C.  

Later in the afternoon, Stefani, Chelsea, the kids, and I pilled into the car and went to the tent to raise awareness and sell raffle tickets.  The raffle tickets went to two box seats a Red Sox game and two nights at the Publick House.  For an early dinner I had two hot dogs on a bun with mustard.  I have Celiac Disease so I am not supposed to eat wheat, but considering this is summer and my first hot dog of the season, I decided to go for it.  After about three hours, I got tired, not to mention hot and Stef suggested I go to the hotel so I could rest up for the parade the next day.  

This was the first time I had ever slept in a hotel room by myself.  I got to choose which bed I slept in.  This is the first time in many years I had that choice.  Nearly every other time, or should I say, EVERY time I stay in a hotel with my parents, they take the bed by the window.  Oh, and the television.  If it isn't baseball season, we'll watch football, and if it's neither of those it'll be The Weather Channel, much to the delight of my mother and I.  My dad needs to realize that there is more to television than sports.  By the time he relinquishes the remote, my mother is either asleep or close to it.  After I get the remote, I am beyond relieved, now I can watch real television.  Usually either TLC, USA or TBS.  Typically about twenty minutes after I gain control of the remote, the snoring begins.  My dad does the deep "bear" snore, and my mom does the sighing snore.  When both of them are at it, I don't sleep well at all.  So, you can imagine my excitement when I was in this nice hotel without my parents.  I slept like a baby and watched what I wanted.

The next morning I woke up at around 7am, ate breakfast in the hotel lobby, went back to my room to get my bags and checked out just as Keith arrived to pick me up at 8am.  I think that was the FIRST time I got up that early, was ready and had eaten breakfast BEFORE my ride came to pick me up.  Stef drove me, Chelsea and the kids to the school where the floats were lined up.  We sat in the car to avoid overheating since that can be dangerous for those with Mitochondrial Disease.  

During the two mile parade, we all sat on the float.  I nearly fell asleep because it was so nice and warm, not to mention I only got 6 hours of sleep.  (Yes, I stayed up watching TV.  So much for going to bed early.)  After the parade, we all returned to the same tent we were at yesterday.  Stef, Chelsea and I got really hot during the parade so we went home about 30 minutes after returning to the tent.  We felt much better after returning to the air-conditioned house.  After Ralph and Keith came back, Crystal and Tapas came with their brand-new baby.  My friend Katy also came, much to my surprise.       

When I was eating dinner at Stefani and Ralph's it hit me that I really love my mito friends and that summer truely is upon us.  I look forward to seeing them again and since the Commuter Rail is easy and not too expensive, it will be easy for me get out there.  I just cross my fingers I can find an apartment and a job that will allow me to stay in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics