Monday, July 12, 2010

T'was the Day Before the Baclofen Trial...

Tomorrow is the first day of three for the long awaited Baclofen trial in Philly.  I am expected at the hospital's Emergency Room at noon.  (This is the first time I have ever heard of an ER inside a rehabilitation hospital.  Traditionally, rehabilitation hospitals only serve those who require intensive inpatient physical therapy or people like me who are having a Baclofen trial.)  Tomorrow my baseline will be assessed as I do various things.  This will give the doctor something to compare to after I have Baclofen injected into my cerebral spinal fluid.  Baclofen is a muscle relaxant and the goal of the trial is to see if a Baclofen pump is for me and if I respond adequately to 50mcg of the medicine.  Results can really only be measured against success and comparable results from the first day, tomorrow.

Right now, I really have no idea if the Baclofen trial will even begin tomorrow because I was sick last week.  My mom called to let them know and ask if it should be rescheduled, but unfortunately, nobody returned our call.  If I understand correctly, you are supposed to be infection free at least 5 days before the test dose to avoid complications after the procedure.  (I forget exactly what was meant  by this, but the doctor made it seem like the incidence of post-procedure infection, i.e., meningitis, was higher in those who had an infection close to the date of the procedure.)  I really hope I don't have to reschedule this trial.  I am as prepared as I am going to get for this and I don't know when the next chance will be because that it entirely dependent on how many others are waiting because the doctor only does the trial one day per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics